Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Plantinga - Chapter 2

I enjoyed chapter 2 of Plantinga’s “Engaging God’s World,” particularly because much of what he discusses in this chapter connects with other classes I have taken at Calvin. I enjoy approaching one specific topic in different classes.

One thing that stuck out to me was only a very minor point Plantinga made, yet I think it has huge significance in how we live our lives. Plantinga reminds us that God created the earth for six days, then rested on the seventh day. He also points out that God not only rested on the seventh day, but also during the nights between each of the days. I find that to be remarkable and to be a statement about how we should live our lives. Not only did God command us to take a Sabbath day to rest in the Ten Commandments, but God Himself rested when he created the earth.

I see a couple reoccurring lies in American culture that concern the concept of rest. I believe that American culture is a highly "hyperactive" culture. By hyperactive I mean that it is highly valued to be a constantly busy, highly-involved-in-everything, never-resting person. Americans place emphasis on “doing,” instead of “being.” Those who keep themselves busy are highly valued in society. Even if you are a family with young kids, there is often pressure for families commit their children and the parents to multiple activities each, in addition to school and hyperactive church involvement. I would go so far as to say that in most settings, being a person who never rests is seen as a good thing. I think this trend is true for both believers and non-believers.

I find that unhealthy trends and pressures exist within the American church culture or in full time Christian ministry families. The reasoning behind hyperactive Christians may look something like: “In order to prove that I love God, I must be highly committed to serving and to my church.” People then begin being involved in church for the sake of being involved itself, instead of out of an overflow of God’s love. It becomes legalism. But I grew up in a missionary community, and I have also seen another kind of justification for hyperactivism without rest: “There is so much need to serve and to build God’s Kingdom and I am accomplishing so much (or have so much to accomplish) for the Kingdom; how could I rest when there is so much I could do to serve?” When I observe this kind of justification for hyperactive Christianity, I think back to the fact that God rested. God could have accomplished and created great things during the time that he rested; yet he still took the time to rest.

There is a time to rest and a time to work and serve. God himself demonstrated this when he created the earth; he then commanded it to us in the Ten Commandments. I think rest is something American culture, and even more so the American Church Culture, should be obedient in. We are not what we do. We do not create our value by what we do. We are who we are through Christ’s redemption. All we can do is accept his love and forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment